Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Early to Bed

I love going to bed early. It makes me giddy. This is exactly what I look like when I go to bed early:

Well, minus the part about that being a boy, but you get the point.

Even though I love going to bed early, sometimes I get a wild hair notion that staying up late would be fun. I will stay up late, I think. I will watch a movie and eat popcorn and it will be fun! So I proceed to select something typically kind of dumb off of Netflix. I settle in with my popcorn, and happily crunch away for about 10-20 minutes.

Once the popcorn is finished and the clock has struck 9:01 p.m., I suddenly start to feel tired. My eyes feel gritty after a day of contact wearing. This is only exacerbated by staring at the movie. I start to wonder why I am even watching this movie, and shouldn't I got to bed? At this point I am so far into it, dumb or not, I still want to see how it ends.

Next my arms start to feel restless. You know how people talk about Restless Leg Syndrome. Well, I have Restless Arm Syndrome. When I get tired, my arms get very restless. They want to move and jump around. No matter how I position them, they drive me crazy to the point of wanting to dismantle them from my body and set them aside for later.

Once again, the thought that I should just go to bed runs through my mind. But now I am tired. And I get to thinking about all the stuff I have to do to prepare for bed. And it seems like so much work now that I am so tired. So might as well just sit there and finish the dumb movie.

Eventually I can't take it anymore. The clock has struck 10 p.m., and I have had it. Grumpy and tired, I drag myself through the getting ready for bed activities, and by the time I am there, this is my state of mind:

People often give me a hard time about my propensity to go to bed early. I have noticed, however, that when babies get tired and fussy, usually people recognize they need to go to bed. They are wrapped in a warm blanket and given a bedtime story and rocked to sleep. This sounds ideal to me. Perhaps I should start training Lewis to be a nanny. Or, I could just go to bed early . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment